If you have been injured in a car accident in Grayson, Georgia, you may be eligible for compensation if someone else was to blame. Car accidents are traumatic, often devastating events that can result in significant medical bills, vehicle damage, and lasting mental distress. An experienced car accident attorney can help you access the compensation you need to pay bills and start to get back on your feet.
When you work with the legal team at Cain Injury Law, you’ll receive personalized attention and compassionate service from the moment you walk through our door. We always advocate zealously and persistently for our clients. We hold ourselves to extremely high professional standards.
It’s an approach that yields positive results. We’ve been recognized by Super Lawyers as Rising Stars in 2020, we’ve been named Best of Gwinnett for 2019. We’re especially proud of the praise we’ve received from our clients.
The legal team from Cain Injury Law is ready to help you. Call us today to schedule your free consultation and get started on your case.
Do I Need a Lawyer After a Grayson Car Accident?
After a car accident, many victims feel stressed, overwhelmed, and unsure of the next steps. The financial pressure of medical bills, property damage, and lost wages can be immense and prevent victims from being able to fully rest and recover.
Insurance companies may take advantage of this financial stress and offer a settlement far lower than what the victim deserves. The victim, desperate to pay bills and worried they might not get a better offer, may take the settlement, which ends any chances of further compensation.
An experienced Grayson car accident attorney can negotiate on your behalf, potentially recovering a much higher amount of compensation. If the insurance company is unwilling to agree to a fair settlement, your attorney may recommend that you take your case to trial.
Even though many car accident injury claims end in a settlement, a good car accident attorney will prepare your case as though it’s going to trial. Insurance companies like to avoid the time, uncertainty, and expense of a trial. They are more likely to offer you a fair settlement early on if they know that your attorney is prepared to go to court.
How Much Is My Grayson Car Accident Case Worth?
The total compensation you could receive will depend on the unique circumstances of your accident. In general, car accident victims who file a claim with the insurance company of the at-fault driver are able to ask for compensation for two kinds of damage: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages are direct expenses — damages for which money is an exact replacement. These typically include:
- Medical bills
- Vehicle damage
- Lost wages if your accident-caused injuries have made you unable to work
You can usually ask to be compensated for medical bills that result from treatment deemed medically necessary by a physician. This can include:
- Ambulance ride
- Emergency room visit
- Hospital stay
- Physical therapy
Non-economic damages are those for which money is not an exact substitute. This includes:
- Emotional trauma
Since these damages are subjective, it can be more complicated to assign a dollar figure to them. Sometimes, a formula is used to determine pain and suffering damages that multiply your total medical bills by a number from 1 to 5, for example.
Compensation for pain and suffering can vary dramatically. In order to ensure you receive fair compensation for pain and suffering, it is essential to hire a skilled car accident attorney.
We also recommend that you start a journal to document the ways your injuries impact your daily life. Write down whenever you experience pain, difficulty completing daily tasks, or struggle with symptoms of anxiety or depression, for example. This kind of daily log can be very helpful in communicating the impact of your accident to a court.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Grayson
Unfortunately, car accidents are very common in Georgia. According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety Data Report, there were 390,158 traffic accidents in Georgia during a single recent year. In those accidents, there were 15,623 serious injuries and 1,540 deaths.
There are many different types of car accidents in Georgia, but the following are among the most common:
- Rear-end accidents – A rear-end accident occurs when a vehicle collides with the rear of the vehicle in front of it. The driver in the rear is nearly always found to be at fault since drivers are legally required to leave sufficient stopping distance between them and the car in front of them.
These crashes often happen due to driver distraction or inattention. The driver may be texting, changing a radio station, reading a street sign or billboard, or otherwise not paying attention. Speeding is also often a factor in rear-end collisions, as speeding can make it impossible to slow down in time to avoid a wreck.
- Head-on crashes – When two cars collide head-on, it often results in severe injury or death. These crashes can happen because a driver was in the wrong lane, going the wrong way down a one-way street, or because the driver was intoxicated.
- Rollover accidents – Rollover accidents are very dangerous, with severe injury often occurring when the roof of the vehicle collides with the ground. Rollover accidents frequently happen when a car is struck by another vehicle at a certain angle or when a car strikes a guardrail or other object in or near the road.
Vehicles that are top-heavy, like trucks, vans, and some SUVS, are more likely to roll. Sometimes, defects in the manufacturing or design process make vehicles dangerously likely to roll. If this is the case, you may be able to hold the designer or manufacturer liable for your damages.
- T-bone accidents (side-impact) – A T-bone accident happens when the side of one vehicle is hit by the front of another vehicle. Passengers sitting on the side of the car that takes the impact can suffer severe injuries. T-bone accidents can be more severe than other types of accidents because the sides of cars offer less protection than the front and rear. T-bone accidents often occur in intersections.
There are many types of car accidents. The ones listed above are only a few of the most common ones. Regardless of the cause of your accident, you should contact a lawyer today to discuss how you can access compensation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Grayson
There are many causes of car accidents in Grayson. Sometimes, car accidents are caused by multiple factors. The following are among the most common causes of car accidents:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs/alcohol – Intoxicated driving is a leading cause of accidents nationwide. Intoxication can lead to reduced reaction time, poor decision-making, blurred vision, and passing out at the wheel.
- Distracted driving – Cell phone use is one of the leading causes of car accidents. When driving 55 miles per hour, a driver can travel the length of a football field while looking down at a cell phone for five seconds. Drivers may also become distracted by eating, changing radio stations, reading road signs, interacting with passengers, and many other activities.
- Speeding – Driving over the speed limit is a cause or contributing factor in many accidents. Speeding reduces reaction time and increases the force of impact during a collision. Speeding can also make a driver lose control of their vehicle and is often a factor in rear-end accidents.
- Driver fatigue – Driving while drowsy, especially if it leads to falling asleep at the wheel, is extremely dangerous and increases the chances of a car accident. Drivers must ensure they are adequately rested before getting behind the wheel and take a break to nap if they begin to feel symptoms of fatigue. Drowsiness may not seem serious, but sleep deprivation can mimic the symptoms of alcohol intoxication.
There are many factors that lead to car accidents. An experienced car accident lawyer will have the skills and resources to fully investigate your accident and obtain evidence that can help the insurer or the court understand what really happened.
Types of Injuries Caused by Car Accidents in Grayson, GA
Car accidents are a major cause of serious injuries in Grayson. Some injuries that commonly result from car accidents include:
- Fractured bones and sprains
- Cuts and lacerations
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Car accidents don’t only lead to physical injuries. Lasting mental trauma is frequently reported by car accident victims. Issues like anxiety, depression, PTSD, and panic attacks can make it difficult for car accident victims to live their life the way they did prior to their accident.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Grayson Today
The experienced car accident attorneys from Cain Injury Law understand the devastating effects that a car accident can have on an individual’s life. We have a strong track record of obtaining favorable outcomes on behalf of our clients, and we are passionate about advocating for those who have been injured in car accidents. Contact us today for your free consultation.